Arnaldur Indridason (Black Skies; Strange Shores) is perhaps the best known of the Icelandic mystery authors, with nine of his 12 Inspector Erlendur books translated into English. Erlendur is a taciturn detective whose life has been shaped by a childhood tragedy (his younger brother vanished in a blizzard). There's an underlying dark social commentary to all of Erlendur's cases; racism, drug addiction and Icelandic insularity come into play. This slightly gloomy view is emphasized by Erlendur's own obsessions with missing people and exposure to the elements. I really love Erlendur - he's similar to Mankell's Kurt Wallander, but since I read Indridason before I ever read Mankell, I don't mind the similarities.Yrsa Sigurdardottir (Ashes to Dust; The Day Is Dark) has written a series featuring attorney Thóra Gudmundsdottir. Thóra is a hardworking single mother (and grandmother) who sometimes can't help digging a little deeper than she ought to on a client's behalf. Iceland's long history--of mysticism, volcanic explosions and violence--influences each of Thóra's cases.
Quentin Bates (Frozen Assets; Cold Steal) also features a female protagonist--the sarcastic Gunnhildur is a police officer in a small town as the series opens. Gunnhildur is later promoted to Reykjavik, where current events (including the recent Icelandic financial meltdown) flavor her investigations. I just reserved the first one in this series from the library!
Any of these authors are sure-fire distractions from the heat index, and their books provide a chance to vicariously enjoy Iceland's cold climate and distinctive culture.
Have you read any of these authors?
I originally wrote most of this round-up for Shelf Awareness for readers.