September 3, 2015

Reading Plans: What's Next (September 2015)



Last month I failed miserably at reading what was on my August reading plan. We'll see if I have better luck this month.


Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
Where I got it: Library e-book
Why: I reread The Giver for the first time in about 20 years - I forgot how much I'd liked it. I literally only remembered that there were bicycles, and that the boy could see the color red, ha! But rereading it makes it so clear how much this book influenced a whole generation of dystopian YA authors. So immediately after finishing The Giver, I put this one and the next two books in the quartet on hold.



Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce
Where I got it: Library e-book
Why: I checked this one out while waiting for Gathering Blue. I'm only 5% in. It's ok, but rather simplistic so far. I know that several of my friends are huge Tamora Pierce fans. Maybe I should've read her when I was younger?



Magna Carta: The Birth of Liberty by Dan Jones
Where I got it: From Shelf Awareness
Why: For review. I'm guessing it's because this is the 800th anniversary - I actually got sent two Magna Carta books this month. I chose this one, because I've heard good things about Dan Jones's other books.



A Banquet of Consequences by Elizabeth George
Where I got it: From Shelf Awareness
Why: For review. I'm pretty stoked that I got sent this one, since I love the Inspector Lynley series anyway. The last couple in the series haven't been quite as good as some of the earlier titles - so I'm hoping for a resurgence of some of her old writing.




Weird: Because Normal Isn't Working by Craig Groeschel
Where I got it: Bought it
Why: Our small group from church is doing a study through this book. 



Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Where I got it: Bought in a Kindle sale
Why: I've heard good things from lots of bloggers who also liked Ready Player One. I loved RPO, so I'm hoping I like this one too



The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
Where I got it: Bought in a Kindle sale
Why: Sheila and my friend Meghan both recommended this one. Speaking of Sheila, I'm going to link this post up with her New on the Stack link-up. Check it out for lots of other fun book lists!


What are YOU planning to read?