August 4, 2016

August Reading Plan



Welcome to the ambitious list of what I'm planning to read in August! (I'll be linking this post up with Sheila's New on the Stack link-up.) We'll see how well I actually do - but I'm hoping that my antipathy to failure will make me read more, since I'm putting this post out there.



Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, etc.
Why am I planning to read it? Well, duh. Harry Potter!
Where did I get it? I pre-ordered a copy
Preliminary thoughts: Well, I'm perhaps starting off with a bit of a cheat, since I already finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. But hey, I was planning to read it in August, so it still deserves to make the list.  Not as good as the original books - the script format interrupted some of the flow, and it was significantly shorter, but I still really liked it.



Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
Why am I planning to read it? I'm already reading it. I'm about 20 hours in to the audiobook. I'm hoping to buckle down and finish it this month though!
Where did I get it? Purchased from Audible.
Preliminary thoughts: It's really good, but so long. I find myself listening to 2-3 hours, and then taking a break for a few days. And sometimes when the book is talking about a part that has a song, I have to pause the book to listen to a little bit of the Hamilton soundtrack again.



Perfect Girl by Gilly Macmillan
Why am I planning to read it? For review.
Where did I get it? Shelf Awareness
Preliminary thoughts: Seems like a fairly typical thriller, although it centers around a high school musical prodigy, which is interesting.



Homeplace by Kevin Wolf
Why am I planning to read it? For review.
Where did I get it? Shelf Awareness
Preliminary thoughts: A literary mystery set in small-town Colorado. I'm skewing heavily British in my reading again, so I think a middle-American novel would be good.



Eleanor and Hick: The Love Affair that Shaped a First Lady by Susan Quinn
Why am I planning to read it? For review.
Where did I get it? Shelf Awareness
Preliminary thoughts: I'm a sucker for books with 'Eleanor' in the title! And I'm especially interested in this one since Eleanor Roosevelt was one of our naming inspirations for Eleanor.



Valiant Ambition by Nathaniel Philbrick
Why am I planning to read it? I've been on hold for it for ages.
Where did I get it? The library.
Preliminary thoughts: I've listened to about an hour, and it's good. But I'm totally going to end up mixing it up with Alexander Hamilton, because Scott Brick narrates both books!



Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
Why am I planning to read it? I love Moriarty's books.
Where did I get it? Purchased from Audible.
Preliminary thoughts: Addictingly good so far, as usual. A bit formulaic perhaps, but I'm still enjoying it. Just had to put it on pause for Valiant Ambition, since that's from the library!



The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
Why am I planning to read it? I'm not totally sure if I am. But part of me feels like I have to, since I have 2 weeks left, and there are 118 people on hold after me. There's no way I'll wait again.
Where did I get it? The library.
Preliminary thoughts: I genuinely know nothing about the plot. But I've heard a half dozen people say they hated it, and a half dozen people loved it. So maybe it'll be a bit like Fates & Furies?

What are YOU planning to read?

This post contains affiliate image links. Thanks for supporting Quirky Bookworm!