May 1, 2012

The Suspense is Killing Me! (A Bookish Dilemma)


I'm the kind of person that has to hide behind the couch pillows during tense movie scenes. I adored the first four seasons of The Wire, but I've never finished season five because I just know it's going to end badly. Jimmy McNulty is going to screw things up, people are going to die, and I can't handle it.

And, now I'm having that dilemma with the Chaos Walking trilogy. As I mentioned, I tore through The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and The Answer. I read the first few chapters of Monsters of Men, and then I stopped. The first two books ended with huge cliffhangers, and I have a feeling that this one will end that way too. And I don't think I can handle it.  

The suspense is making me crazy. I'm debating between flipping ahead and reading the last couple chapters first, or just returning the book to the library without finishing it, and pretending in my head that there was a happy ending.

What do you do in this scenario? Do you read the end first? Or are you one of those crazy brave people that loves scary movies and suspenseful books?

What do you think I should do?

P.S. The giveaways of the Little State board books and the BabyLit board books are closed! Were you a winner?