January 20, 2013

Quitting an Author



Way back in September my sister Meagan guest posted about Mary Higgins Clark - and Leigh's comment got me thinking about quitting authors.

Fifteen years ago I waited eagerly for each new Mary Higgins Clark -- but I haven't read one in probably eight years now. They just got too formulaic, and I didn't care. (And I found authors like Ian Rankin and Henning Mankell who filled my mystery cravings much better).

Other authors I've quit reading: Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Brock and Bodie Thoene, M.L. Longworth, Elizabeth Peters, Christopher Paolini.

Authors that I may be done with, because their latest books underwhelmed me: Charles Todd, Val McDermid, Jasper Fforde, Peter Robinson, Naomi Novik.

But the problem is; sometimes authors can surprise you. I almost quit Donna Leon a few years ago - she had two or three books in a row that I really didn't care about. But I kept going, and then suddenly they got great again - the last three Guido Brunetti books have been wonderful. 

So that makes me think that maybe I need to give some of those other authors one more chance...


What authors have you quit? 
Do you have a hard time giving up on an author?