March 17, 2014

Irish You a Happy St. Patrick's Day (and A Few Bookish Links)


How can you tell if an Irishman is having a good time?
He's Dublin over with laughter.

Knock. Knock.

Who's there?
Irish.
Irish who?
Irish you a Happy St. Patrick's day.

Eleanor doesn't really get jokes yet. She'll tell jokes like "Knock knock, who's there? Tree. Tree who? Tree banana pants. Hahahahaha!" So all of the jokes in that St. Patrick's Day book are completely over her head, but she knows she's supposed to laugh, and so she does this really hearty fake guffaw. And, even better, she's started repeating the jokes, but with the timing all wrong. Cracks me up every time.

In less-funny, but more-bookish news, I've had a bunch of tabs open in my phone for a while, and decided to share them with you!
  • I was intrigued by how far ahead India is on Mental Floss's map of countries that read the most -- almost double the US total! (Although: it doesn't specify what people are reading. Books only? Do magazines and blogs and newspapers count too?)
  • Look, John Green sort of a did a Judging Books by Their Covers post... of his own book! Check out all the TFiOS covers.
  • I really liked this NYT piece about audiobooks - it partly explains why I love them so much. "The inner imagining of the story becomes commingled with the outer senses..." -- which is why if I've listened to a book while driving, for example, the next time I go through that intersection I'll flash back to where I was in the book.
  •  
Got any dumb jokes or bookish links for me?


P.S. Why are potatoes good detectives? They keep their eyes peeled.