September 3, 2014

Abandoned v. Unputdownable

I was thinking a Venn diagram would be a fun way to represent how you guys answered my "Name a book you gave up on this year" and "Name a book that you couldn't put down" questions on the survey.



But, as you can see, only one book makes both lists. So, instead, I'm going to just list out the responses. A bunch of people left both blank, and more people answered the positive question than the negative one. But it's still a fun set of lists to look at!


Books You Gave Up On

Boy, Snow, Bird, Cinder, Dangerous by Shannon Hale, Demonology by some Korean guy that my friend insistingly gave to me *blink*, Discovery of Witches, Fever Pitch, Gone Girl, Green Rider, I blanked them out (x2), I've finished them all, Light Between the Oceans, Maus II, Midnight in Mexico by Alfredo Corchado, Moby Dick, Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety by Daniel Smith, None (x5), Nora Robert's Land, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (x2), Oryx and Crake, Outlander, Perfect by Rachel Joyce, Pride and Prejudice (x2!) (gasp!), Project Based Homeschooling, Sense and Sensibility, Sly Fox, Stranded by Dani Pettrey, The Art of Fielding, The Casual Vacancy, The Circle, The Fat Lady Sang by Robert Evans, The Girls of Atomic City, The Labyrinth, The One and Only, The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (x2), The Paris Wife, The Shock of the Fall, The Weird Sisters, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, Thirteen Moons, This is the Story of a Happy Marriage, Under the Influence, While Beauty Slept, Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket, Wild by Cheryl Strayed, Winter's Tale.
I have to say, Cinder and the Austens are what surprise me, since I love them. I quit One Thousand Gifts and The Paris Wife too. And, I've been avoiding The Casual Vacancy and The Winter's Tale because I've heard that they weren't very readable.



Books You Couldn't Put Down

A Girl is a Half Formed Thing, All the Light We Cannot See, Altered by Jennifer Rush, Anything by Dirk Hayhurst, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Battle Royale, Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson, Bread & Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table, Courting Greta, Cress, Dark Places and Hopeless, Deadline, Dogs of Babel, Eat Pray Love, entire Harry Potter series (first time read-through!), Gone Girl (x3), Henrietta's War, I Shall Be Near to You, If I Stay, Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker, Life after Life, Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf, Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok, Mercy by Jodi Piccoult, Modesty Blaise, Night Film, Ocean at the End of the Lane, Outrage!, Seabiscuit, Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley, Something Other Than God, Station Eleven!!!!, Surprised By Hope, TFIOS, The End of the Affair, The Fortune Hunter, The Goblin Emperor, The Goldfinch (x2), the Grisha trilogy, The Kite Runner, The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by JoJo Moyes, The Last Policeman Series, The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap, The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon, The Lost Husband, The Maze Runner, The Mysterious Benedict Society series, The Making of a Chef, The Nesting Place, The Rosie Project (x3), The Signature of All Things, The Silkworm, Tina Fey's Bossypants, Unbroken, Undetected by Dee Henderson, Unlimited, Warden And The Wolf King, While Beauty Slept, Wonder

I also loved The Rosie Project, Life after Life, Cress, and Harry Potter! And, If I Stay and The Silkworm were both really good. I'm so excited that someone else was obsessed with the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo, and I'm currently reading Countdown City, book two in The Last Policeman series.


How about you? 
Any surprises on these lists?


P.S. Only 2 days till the #bookwormproblems link-up! Get your posts ready!