March 27, 2015

Judging Books by Their Covers: A Lesson Learned

You all know I like to judge books by their covers. A couple of weeks ago I posted a photo on Facebook, "Judging Books by Their Covers: Garage Sale Edition" (hand modeling work done by my friend Meghan, who alas does not have a hyperbaric chamber.)



But then last week I had an experience where I nearly judged a book by its cover, and I'm so glad that I didn't!




Based on the cover I never would have picked up The Ladies of Managua. Frankly, I only started it because after Shelf Awareness sent me the ARC, I checked, and it was available on Netgalley. So since it's easier for me to read e-books these days, I gave it a chance, and I REALLY enjoyed it! It's a family saga set in Nicaragua, telling the story of three women.
 

The first is Isabela, the grandmother and high society lady. Next, her daughter Ninexin, former Sandinista revolutionary, current government minister. And finally Maria, Ninexin's daughter, a would-be artist who has escaped her family's tangled history to live in NYC, until her grandfather's death calls her back to Managua. ‪The book alternates between the perspectives of these three very different women, making for an engaging read, with an awesomely lush background. I'll post my full review later, once it's run in Shelf Awareness.
  
Have you ever regretted judging a book by its cover?