June 23, 2016

Overwhelmed and Underwhelmed: A Bookish Saga


My current "to read" stack is overwhelming me. I ran into a similar situation last month, where all my needs-reviewed books and library holds arrived at once. I powered through, and read a ton of books. But for some reason this month, it makes me want to hide away and watch Netflix. There are just so many good choices that I can't choose! 

It also doesn't help that Juliet's been on a staying-up-late kick, so by the time I get her to bed I'm usually ready to just sleep. The other night I actually got her down by 9, and I was hoping to get a good chunk of reading time, but instead I found myself staring at my huge pile of books/instagramming my dilemma.

Since I took the pic I managed to read one library book (The Vault of Dreamers), and one book for review (The Angels' Share), which were both a bit underwhelming, sadly. I've never read J.R. Ward since I'm not into paranormal stuff; but she gets tons and tons of 5 star reviews. The Angels' Share is book 2 in a trilogy about a Kentuckian family that's practically bourbon royalty, but I found it rather misogynistic. Not sure if that compares with her vampire fiction or not.




I loved Caragh M. O'Brien's Birthmarked trilogy, and I liked the premise of The Vault of Dreamers, the first book in her newest series, a lot - it's about a girl at an exclusive arts-centered high school which is a reality show by day. But, all students are required to take a sleeping pill to knock them out at night, which supposedly makes them more creative during the day. Rosie becomes convinced that bad things are happening at night, and she starts skipping her sleeping pill. It got a little redundant in the middle, but then it had a HUGE CLIFFHANGER ending. I had been losing interest in the story a bit, but naturally now I need to know how it ends, so I just requested that the library buy book two - The Rule of Mirrors.

And now, I should probably quit blogging, and get back to those big ole piles of books! Some of them are due at the library in just a day or two. And hopefully one of them will be super awesome and motivate me to read the rest!


Anything underwhelmed you lately?