April 1, 2012

Pride & Prejudice is Overrated



This may come as a surprise to you, but I think Pride and Prejudice is overrated. I know I've talked about Georgette Heyer being like Jane Austen but funnier. And I reviewed Midnight in Austenland and Lost in Austen, and even put Jane Austen on my list of books about love. But really, there are so many good books out there that are better than Pride and Prejudice.

I kind of don't understand the obsession -- the dozens of Pride and Prejudice continuations, the countless movie remakes. I'm not quite sure why everyone wants to be Elizabeth Bennett. And really, why is everyone so obsessed with the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice? Colin Firth is kind of weird looking in pantaloons.

What books do you think are overrated? 

P.S. APRIL FOOLS'! I heart P & P in a big way. And um, hello, that scene in the BBC production where Jennifer Ehle runs into just-went-swimming Colin Firth? And then later when they exchange significant glances over the piano? Dreamy sigh...