May 20, 2012

Announcing: the Summer Reading Club

The Idea

I was looking at the library website recently, and saw an announcement about the summer reading activities they were going to have available. That made me think back to my childhood, and little charts where I carefully crossed off spots for every book I read. I loved the summer reading program! So I decided that I wanted to make a summer reading club of my own this year, and I want you guys to join me!

I picked two books for each month. You can pick the one you prefer, or read both. I tried to pick light books (since it is summer after all!), but from a variety of genres, so hopefully everyone can find something they like. I've read at least three books by each of these authors*, so I can vouch for them. I haven't read all of these specific titles though - so I'm looking forward to reading along with you!

The Rules

Here's how it'll work: read the book(s) and write up a post of your own about it/them. Each month I'll put up a linky post for you to link your post up, so we can all read each others' reviews of the books. AND, because all good summer reading programs have prizes, I'll randomly pick one of the linked up posts, and you'll receive a $10 Amazon gift card! So if you read both books and write and link up 2 separate posts, you get 2 chances to win. Otherwise, just one. And, don't worry if you don't have a blog of your own. I'll post some questions about the book too, and you can just answer the questions in a comment in order to enter.

Without further ado, here are the books I chose and the link-up deadlines:

June

The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (Regency romance)
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (alternate history/mystery/fantasy)

Link-up date: June 17, 2012 

 

July

Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear (post-WWI mystery)
Drop Dead Healthy by A.J. Jacobs (memoir) 

Link-up date: July 22, 2012 

 

August

When Maidens Mourn by C.S. Harris (19th century mystery)
Cinder by Marissa Meyer (young adult fantasy/dystopia) 
*this is the one exception: I haven't read any of Meyer's books, but I've heard great things

Link-up date: August 19, 2012


And, just to make it more fun: the publishers have kindly agreed to provide free copies of Drop Dead Healthy (on audiobook) and When Maidens Mourn to one of you!

UPDATE 5/28: Random.org helped me pick the winner -- commenter #9 -- coincidentally my sister! Congrats Meagan! 

I will be contacting Simon & Schuster & NAL Hardcover to have them send you the books!