May 10, 2012

In Which I Blather About All the Reading I'm Not Doing


I've been "reading" Blue Latitudes for two weeks now. I'm enjoying it, but I just can't focus on it.

I also haven't been brave enough to pick up Monsters of Men again.

But I have been doing a lot of genealogical research. I officially know all 32 of my great-great-great grandparents now! I get dorkily excited about my genealogical discoveries, but I figure that finding out that my last great-great-great grandma, Clara Korb, was born in September 1859 in Pennsylvania, is the closest I'll ever get to being Nancy Drew in real life.


I've also been making a lot of cakes and cookies -- in the last few weeks we've had four birthday parties for various family members, and in the next two weeks we have Mother's Day and three graduation parties coming up. So actually I have listened to several audio books while I've been mixing and baking and sweeping up messes.

My new favorite audio books are the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series by Deborah Crombie. I'm waiting impatiently for book #4 to arrive from the library...but the person ahead of me on the list still has two weeks left with it. Sigh. Book #3 had such a tantalizing ending too.

And, speaking of tantalizing endings, I'm so sad that Castle is over. One of my favorite actors from Battlestar Galactica showed up in the finale (and it appears that he will return next season)! I don't want to accidentally give any spoilers, so go watch the finale right now!

Is May a busy month for you too? Am I the only person who can't bake cookies without getting flour all over the floor?