June 27, 2012

Judging Covers: All the King's Men


All the King's Men is one of those classic books that I'd never gotten around to reading. Till the audio version came across the trade counter at Bookmans, and I snagged it to listen to while I was a-money-counting. (That was one of the best perks of that job. All the audiobooks I wanted to listen to for free!)

It's read by Michael Emerson (perhaps better known as Ben from Lost) and he does a superb job. I'd say it's one of the best audiobooks I've ever listened to. It's not a happy story, but I couldn't get enough of it. You can ask my coworkers, I listened to it really loud so that I could hear it even if I was tacking stuff up on the hallway bulletin boards outside my office door.

There were two reasons I picked it up: (1) I liked the cover and (2) it was unabridged. I find that my cover-judging of audiobooks always includes a scan for that little word 'unabridged'.

Do you judge audio covers differently from the real thing? Which of these covers do you prefer?

This post is part of my ongoing Judging Books by Their Covers series. And, don't forget that June is National Audiobook Month!