January 4, 2013

2013 Reading Goals


As you saw yesterday, I like to keep spreadsheets and track what I read. I do read a lot, but I think the 150 goal last year was a little too ambitious. I didn't read at all during the two weeks we were moving, and so then I spent all of December feeling slightly panicky about how busy I was, and how little reading time I had. 

On the one hand setting such a high goal was good, because I ended up pushing myself and I made it. But I don't need any extra stress in my life during the holidays, so I think a less ambitious goal might be a better plan for next year.

So, my 2013 main reading goal is: 125 books. I figure that should break down to about 1/3 audiobooks, 1/3 for review, and 1/3 for fun, which seems like a pretty good split. If I make it higher than 125, awesome. But this way I don't have to feel all worried. (Plus, a large part of the reason I made it in 2012 was that I read a ton of kids' books in October, and I'm not sure if I'm going to do that again this year).

My subgoals are: 



  • Read at least six classics (and hopefully more!) in my own Classics Catch-Up Challenge
  • Read more nonfiction. 2 books a month; 24 for the year! I read 21 last year, so this shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
  • Read lots of audiobooks and books set all over the globe for the other challenges I signed up for.
  • Reread Elswyth Thane's Williamsburg novels. They've been on my list for about 3 years now; I actually want to make time for them, because they're so lovely.
I almost made a goal about specific genre ratios (i.e. less mystery, more fantasy, etc.); but again, I think that might stress me out. And I want my 2013 reading to be fun!

What are your goals for 2013?


P.S. If you signed up for the Classics Catch-Up Challenge, have you started Anna Karenina?