October 31, 2014

31 Days of Book Pics: Day 31 - Spooky Books [A Link-Up!]



I'm a little sad that this is the last day of #31bookpics. Looking back at all the days is super entertaining for me. Maybe I'll try and figure out how to make a slideshow of them, so I can post them all in one spot!

I've compiled lists of the best kids' Halloween books before, but I don't really read horror books, so I had a little bit of a hard time coming up with "Spooky Books" for adults. I decided to skew things toward "haunting" -- and went with some books that have haunted me. 

I read The Distant Hours nearly two years ago, and I still think about it. It's definitely the most sad of Kate Morton's books, and I dreamed about it for months after I finished it.

Bellman & Black is a book that I wouldn't even say I liked. Actually, I almost disliked it. But I couldn't stop reading it, and I think of it every time I see a black bird.

The Secret Place was not my favorite of Tana French's books, but it has a supernatural subplot that I found slightly disturbing and unforgettable. And it's one of those books where the whole plot hinges on one tiny moment (much like The Distant Hours), and you find yourself wishing you could change that moment.


And The Book Thief was our October pick for the Young Adult Book and Movie Club. Obviously a book narrated by Death is going to be fairly haunting, and World War Two stories are often hard to forget! (Sidenote: the YABMC met Monday night to watch the movie, which I thought was pretty good, but not as mesmerizing or dark as the book. We did however, eat delicious pea soup and apple turnovers and roasted potatoes and speck, among other things.)



What books have haunted you?


Share in the comments, or link-up your own Spooky Books posts! Reminder: this is the last chance to enter a post in a #31bookpics link-up. In the next couple of days I'll go back and compile a list of all the posts from all the link-ups, and then choose a random winner for a $15 Amazon or Barnes and Noble gift card.






Unfamiliar with 31 Days? Here's my post explaining all the details of my 31 Days of Book Pics Project. Find all of my #31bookpics here. Find me on Instagram here. And don't forget to share your own Spooky Books pics online with the hashtag #31bookpics!