December 22, 2014

The 2015 YABMC Selections


Quirky Bookworm: Young Adult Book and Movie Club selections for 2015, including Marie Lu, Gayle Forman, Maggie Stiefvater, Louisa May Alcott, and more.

Your votes have been counted, and the official 2015 line-up for the Young Adult Book and Movie Club is ready!

  • January - Beauty by Robin McKinley : a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale, a mix of fiction and fantasy. It doesn't have a specific movie, but I love Disney's Beauty & the Beast.
  • February - Legend by Marie Lu : an action novel set in a dystopian Los Angeles: pitting a legendary criminal against a military prodigy. Perhaps to be paired with the Divergent or Hunger Games movie?
  • March - Prodigy by Marie Lu : continues the story of Day and June from Legend. Haven't settled on pairing yet. Maybe we'll just eat a lot of food.
  • April - Champion by Marie Lu : the final installment in the trilogy. There are some big battles in this one... I'm trying to think of a good war movie to match it with. Maybe one of the Terminators?
  • May - Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster : I really wanted to put Rilla of Ingleside here, since it's my favorite of the Anne series, but it doesn't have a movie, and I wasn't sure if it was weird to choose book 8 in a series. So I picked Daddy-Long-Legs, as another good coming-of-age historical fiction option. Plus, there's a movie with Fred Astaire! 
  • June - If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman : These are contemporary fiction about a girl who survives the car crash that kills her family. They're super-duper short, so it should be easy to read both in one month. And I've heard the If I Stay movie is really good.
  • July - Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell : Although this one doesn't have a specific movie, I think that the 1980s setting is just asking for an 80s party! I debated choosing Fangirl since Eleanor & Park is a little heavier, theme-wise, but I thought that E&P will make for good discussion.
  • August - The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater : contemporary magical fiction about a quest for Owen Glendower. This doesn't have a movie, but the Aglionby boys make me think of Dead Poet's Society, so I think that will be a nice combo.
  • September - The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater : Because the series must go on! Still debating a movie or party-theme to pair with it.
  • October - Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater : I'm thinking of pairing this with Over Sea, Under Stone. I know that Maggie was partly inspired by the Dark is Rising sequence, and since OS, US is such a fast read, I think it would go nicely with BL, LB. 
  • November - book 4 of the Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater : Can't wait for this one! And don't know what to match it with, since it's not out yet... maybe more Susan Cooper.
  • December - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott : I figure a nice historical read to round out the year is perfect. And the Little Women book and movie both have some good Christmasy scenes. 
I'll try to do more YABMC round-ups here in 2015 than I've remembered to do in 2014! And feel free to join the Facebook group for more discussion - I promise it's not spammy. I delete people if they post self-promotiony updates, and usually I only post once or twice a week, so it won't fill up your Facebook feed.

So start getting your library requests in now, and spread the word about the #YABMC. Book clubs are always more fun with more people! Then in January we'll kick things off with Beauty.

Hooray! Who's in?