July 14, 2015

Ten Hyped Books I've Never Read

I have a confession to make: I have never read a single Babysitter's Club book. Because everyone else was reading them. 

I was five years late to the Harry Potter party, because everyone else was reading them.

I have a contrary streak that hates reading things just because everyone else is.

So when I saw a post from Monika at Lovely Bookshelf called "Top 10 Hyped Books I've Never Read" - I could totally relate.

Here are the 10 hyped books I've never read!

  1. Twilight. Nope. No vampires. I just can't.
  2. Game of Thrones. Incest, violence, eh. I don't want to invest that much time in something that turns out to be too much for me.
  3. The Purpose Driven Life. Pretty sure every other Christian has read this.
  4. Fifty Shades of Grey. Never ever happening, for obvious reasons.
  5. A Thousand Splendid Suns. Ok, I read about a third of this one. And I was like "IT'S GOING TO BE TOO TRAGIC I CAN'T EVEN DEAL." and I quit.
  6. The Secret. Ugh, I worked in a bookstore when this came out. I tend to be pretty judgey about new age stuff anyway... and, let me tell you, the clientele who was looking for that book cemented some of my judgments!
  7. The Help. I don't have a good reason for avoiding this one. Mostly just because everyone kept telling me I should read it.
  8. Life of Pi. Yep. More stubborn anti-trendiness on my part.
  9. The Nightingale. Is it just me, or is EVERYONE reading this book this year? And from what the description sounds like, it seems to be a pretty run-of-the-mill WWII book. Maybe I'm just biased because I was underwhelmed by All the Light We Cannot See?
  10. The Goldfinch. I actually requested this one from the library, but ran out of time, and never read it.

What hyped books have YOU never read?