February 17, 2016

Choosing Fictional Characters for a Martian Mission


I actually think being an astronaut might be the worst thing ever. (I'm really scared of heights.) But, this tweet from Reading Rainbow inspired me to scheme about companions for a mission to Mars. It's kind of a hard question to answer, because you want people who could help you stay alive (either because they're smart or have a particular skill-set), but also you want them to be interesting and non-annoying. My first two answers were super easy... but I had to think harder about the last three.

Here's what I came up with finally...

  • Mark Watney from The Martian - um, hello. He stayed alive on Mars all alone! And apparently he looks like Matt Damon.
  • Hermione Granger from Harry Potter - because she's brilliant. And has an amazing memory for facts.
  • Cress from the Lunar Chronicles - she's an awesome hacker, and she knows spaceships. She'd be sure to keep us in touch with NASA.
  • Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice - good conversationalist. Decent on the pianoforte.
  • Sebastian St. Cyr from the Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries by C.S. Harris - another 19th century person so Lizzie wouldn't feel out of place. Also, he's hot. And a good fighter, in case we meet angry aliens. And I realized my spaceship had mostly females... so I needed to balance things out a little. 
I like my team! I think I could live with them for five years.



Who would YOU choose?