April 12, 2016

The Tyranny of the Library


Ironically, given how my last post was about how I wasn't reading at all, I'm now drowning in books. I somehow failed to suspend any holds, and so pretty much all of them arrived at once. Thus, for the next three weeks I will be frantically reading as fast as I can, because I've been waiting for some of these books for as much as 7 months. 

And, of course, things are complicated by the fact that I also have a big stack of books to read for Shelf Awareness. I swear, library holds are always a feast or famine situation for me. For the next couple of weeks there won't be a lot of time for Netflix bingeing in my life.

4 Days Remaining

  • Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. I think I give up on this one.


10 Days Remaining

  • My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher. I actually didn't have to wait too long for this one, so I think I'll just let it expire, and put it on hold again.


15 Days Remaining

  • In Other Words by Jhumpa Lahiri. I'm only about a chapter in. It hasn't immediately grabbed me, but I'm hoping it'll be really good.
  • Son by Lois Lowry. I wrapped this up last night, and really enjoyed it! Time to return it, although I'm probably messing up someone else's hold schemes by only having it checked out for six days, ha!


16 Days Remaining

  • Even the Dogs in the Wild by Ian Rankin. Again, didn't have to wait too long, so I might just return it temporarily. Although this is the one I really want to read right now!
  • Rising Strong by Brene Brown. I also really want to read this one, so it depends on how heavy it is. When I'm reading fast, I can't read anything too thought-provoking.


21 Days Remaining

  • Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard. I'm so excited about this one, and I've been waiting for a really long time. So I'm definitely going to have to make time for it! 


2 Days Left to Pick Up My Hold

  • My Kitchen Year by Ruth Reichl. This one looks great, and I've loved all of Reichl's other books.
  • The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski. Another fun YA title! This one is the conclusion to a trilogy I've really been enjoying.


3 Days Left to Pick Up My Hold

  • The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks. I normally love Geraldine Brooks, although I'm less excited now that I realized this is a novelization of the life of the Biblical King David. So, I'll see if I have time to get to it.


How about you? Is the library tyrannizing YOU?