April 17, 2016

9 Celebrity Memoirs That Are Great Audiobooks!



I have a not-so-secret fondness for celebrity memoirs on audiobook. There's just something so fun about listening to someone's memoir when it's read by the celebrity whose story it is!

  1. Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe. This is probably my favorite of all of these. Lowe is a superb narrator, and his willingness to name drop makes for some excellent anecdotes! This book made me laugh out loud so many times. Plus, let's face it. Rob Lowe is very attractive! Who wouldn't want to have him talking in their ear for 10 hours?
  2. Wildflower by Drew Barrymore.
    This is where a great performance is huge. The actual book wasn't very interesting to me; I found Barrymore's stories a little dull. But - her presentation was FANTASTIC, and made for a fun listen.
  3. Yes, Please by Amy Poehler.
    Again, this is one that was all about the performance for me. The book was decent, but the audiobook is great. I, of course, particularly loved the chapter where she talks about Parks & Recreation.
  4. Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming.
    This gives Rob Lowe a run for his money. It's a gripping book (Cumming's father was abusive, and he has some hard memories to work through), and his Scottish accent is so charming. You might even want to watch Cumming's episode of Who Do You Think You Are? before listening (like I did), so you can picture more of the people he describes.
  5. Along the Way by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. I adored half of this book, and was slightly irritated by the other half. It's told in alternating chapters by Martin (whom I love), and Emilio (who is awfully full of himself). But put together it makes for a great listen, and I've added The Way to my list of must-see movies as a result of reading this.
  6. Bossypants by Tina Fey.
    I didn't listen to this one, and I wish I had. Everyone I know who listened to the book raves about it, and I was a little underwhelmed by the print edition. If I ever find the time, I'm going to listen to it and see if it's better the second time around!
  7. I Must Say by Martin Short.
    Parts of this book were over my head (Short's SNL run was ahead of my time, so I didn't have a frame of reference for some of the characters he described). But oh goodness was his relationship with his wife Nancy so incredibly sweet. The book is basically an homage to the wife he misses, and parts of it made me cry - something I didn't expect from someone as funny as Short!
  8. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling.
    First of all, what girl can't relate to that title? I thought this book was original and funny, and is MUCH better than Kaling's second book.
  9. As You Wish by Cary Elwes.
    This one is SUPER SUPER fun on audio, because many of the original stars - including Robin Wright and Rob Reiner - voice their own reminiscences. Some of my favorite parts were when Elwes was sharing his memories of Andre the Giant. If only Andre had still been alive to participate in the project!
I'm always looking for more good celebrity memoirs to listen to! Have a recommendation for me? Share in the comments below!

And if you'd like to purchase my two favorites, click through the images below to buy them (or anything else you want!) on Amazon. It won't cost you anything extra, but I'll earn a few cents on the transaction. Better me than the big, faceless company, right? Thanks for supporting Quirky Bookworm!