December 9, 2015

Unputdownable: 10 Addictingly Good Novels!

Unputdownable: 10 Addictingly Good Novels, including What Alice Forgot, Someone Else's Love Story, Where'd You Go Bernadette?, The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs, and more.

Last year I read so much YA and so many mysteries that it was kind of ridiculous. This year I've branched out a bit more into the "light fiction" genre. Some of these books are classified as "women's fiction" (which seems perhaps vaguely insulting?). Basically, they're fiction that's not too heavy, but not light or romantic enough to be considered a total beach read. I've really enjoyed discovering this (sub)genre, and I want to share some of my favorites with you!

  1. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. This one is pure catnip for book-lovers. It's the quirky story of a curmudgeonly bookstore owner, who finds love and loss in surprising places.
  2. The Ladies of Managua by Eleni N. Gage. A lovely multigenerational family saga set in Nicaragua. I really liked this one - find my full review here.
  3. If You Only Knew by Kristan Higgins. A wedding dress designer is looking for love, just as her sister's marriage is falling apart. Funny and charming, full review here.
  4. Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson. A hostage situation thrusts Shandi and Will together, and Shandi finds herself falling in love with Will. But Will can't get over Bridget, the girl he'd loved since high school. Surprisingly gripping.
  5. The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell. Adrian's third wife died in what seemed to be a tragic incident. But then he starts getting ugly letters, and begins to wonder if one of his former wives could be involved. Full review here.
  6. That Summer by Lauren Willig. Not as fluffy as some of Willig's other books, That Summer tells of the modern day inheritance of a London house, and the mundanely tragic life of the woman who lived there in the Victorian era.
  7. The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth. Rather more sad than some of the other books on this list - it tells the story of Anna, who at 38 has early-onset Alzheimer's. Unexpectedly, Anna finds love in her assisted living facility. But can she remember this love as she forgets everything else? 
  8. The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs by Matthew Dicks. Caroline has been timid and wimpy her whole life, until she decides to finally stand up to her high school bully - 20 years later. Full review here.
  9. Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple. This one has been really hyped, but I enjoyed it still. The odd characters, the intriguing disappearance of Bernadette, and the unusual Antarctic setting make it so much fun.
  10. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. This might be my favorite Liane Moriarty... or at least it gives Big Little Lies a run for its money. It makes me wonder how I would feel if I'd lost 10 years of my life (like Alice did). If I suddenly woke up after a head injury thinking I was only 22... would my 22 year old self be bewildered by the life I'm living?

What's the best "light fiction" you've read recently?


Want to buy any of the books on my list? Buy through this link, and I'll earn a few cents on the transaction (at no cost to you!). Thanks for supporting Quirky Bookworm.

And if you liked this post? Would you do me a favor and share it? Just click the Pinterest or Facebook button below!