May 8, 2016

Passing on a Love of Reading from Mother to Daughter

I swear my mom wasn't a child bride! She was 21 when I was born, she just doesn't look it.
My mom and I don't look much alike in coloring... although as I get older people tell me I smile like she does! And we're not much alike in personality (she's a homebody, and I'm emphatically not). But, we do share a love of reading! 

I have so many memories of her reading books to me as a kid (a book about a hen named Gwendolyn and The Five Little Peppers stand out for some reason). I also remember often seeing her read on her own. Even though I'm the oldest of five kids, she always found snippets of time for herself to read, which is a habit that I highly approve of! 

My mom's favorite genres are mystery and romance, and when I got into late elementary school she started sharing her books with me, which is how I fell in love with Agatha Christie and Georgette Heyer. It's awesome that we can quote obscure lines from a Georgette Heyer book, and totally get each other's references. It's like a secret second language!

And I love that I'm passing on the love of reading to my own daughters. Eleanor is clearly following in our footsteps, and I love having "reading dates" while Juliet is napping, when Eleanor and I sit and read together. As Juliet gets older, she asks for books more and more often, and soon enough she'll probably be reading too!

In the meantime, Happy Mother's Day, mom! Thanks for all the bookish memories.