May 8, 2016

Passing on a Love of Reading from Mother to Daughter

I swear my mom wasn't a child bride! She was 21 when I was born, she just doesn't look it.
My mom and I don't look much alike in coloring... although as I get older people tell me I smile like she does! And we're not much alike in personality (she's a homebody, and I'm emphatically not). But, we do share a love of reading! 

I have so many memories of her reading books to me as a kid (a book about a hen named Gwendolyn and The Five Little Peppers stand out for some reason). I also remember often seeing her read on her own. Even though I'm the oldest of five kids, she always found snippets of time for herself to read, which is a habit that I highly approve of! 

My mom's favorite genres are mystery and romance, and when I got into late elementary school she started sharing her books with me, which is how I fell in love with Agatha Christie and Georgette Heyer. It's awesome that we can quote obscure lines from a Georgette Heyer book, and totally get each other's references. It's like a secret second language!


And I love that I'm passing on the love of reading to my own daughters. Eleanor is clearly following in our footsteps, and I love having "reading dates" while Juliet is napping, when Eleanor and I sit and read together. I hope that as Juliet gets a little older, she'll get to join in the fun too.

In the meantime, Happy Mother's Day, mom! Thanks for all the bookish memories.