May 4, 2016

Currently: What I'm Obsessed With // Listening To // Reading // Eating


Time: 9:37 am

Obsessed With // I periodically have a resurgence in my genealogical obsession, which, if you follow me on Twitter, you've probably seen a lot of lately. I've had a couple of breakthroughs though, and traced back 5 generations of every single branch of my maternal grandmother's family. (So 7 back from me!) I'm back in the Revolutionary War era though, and record-keeping gets pretty dicey, especially for females, who only got a checkmark on the census (only free, white, heads of household were listed by name). So I'm not sure how much further I'll be able to go on a couple of these branches.
Eating // I'm trying to go sugar-free for a while, because I have been eating a ton of it lately. (There have been far too many chocolate chip cookies and doughnuts in my life!) I didn't have any sugar yesterday, woohoo, and so far so good this morning.
Drinking // I'm also trying to cut back on my diet coke habit, and replace part of it with sparkling water. I really, really like soda, and I don't much care for sparkling water, so it's a work in progress. 
Listening To // I'm finally (belatedly) jumping on the Hamilton train. I've been listening to the Hamilton soundtrack, and it's SO good! I think that's what actually spurred the latest genealogical craze, because my research is in the same timeframe as Alexander Hamilton's life. I'm also listening to Shadow Spinner, one of the May-June picks for the RTFEBC. 
Reading // Honestly, not a lot. We had a super fun weekend celebrating Noel's 35th birthday (and we had kid-free time for the first time since June 2013!). We ate out a lot, and watched movies loudly (no sleeping kids!), and went shopping, and just had a generally lovely time. But, I didn't read at all. So the last couple of days I've been trying to hurry through Not Dead Enough, to review for Shelf Awareness. It's a mystery set in the Portland area, revolving around a dam which was built 50 years ago, cutting off the Wasco tribe's access to their traditional salmon fishing grounds. In the present day several people have been murdered, in an attempt to hide secrets about the dam. I'm really enjoying it!
Planning // Less than normal this month. I think I'm going to skip the "what I'm planning to read" post that I usually do at the beginning of the month. I'm also taking it easy in terms of social plans, because a lot of stuff just naturally crops up this time of year. I can't believe that in about 20 days Eleanor will be done with kindergarten! So crazy how fast this school year has gone by.

Time 9:52 am

What are YOU currently into?