September 24, 2013

What Do Katniss Everdeen and Miss Marple Have in Common?

 

I realized something a few days ago (as I read Sparkling Cyanide and Murder at the Vicarage in quick succession).

I used to read a lot of Agatha Christie and other more cozy/ traditional mystery writers, like Patricia Wentworth and Elizabeth Peters. But six or seven years ago when I discovered really good police procedurals, particularly international ones, like those by Donna Leon, Arnaldur Indridason and Deborah Crombie, I ditched the less exciting mysteries, because even I can't read only whodunits.

Because a lot of what I read for review feels a bit more like a 'have-to-read', I tend to want lighter stuff when I'm reading for fun. So, without those mysteries around, I turned to YA lit, and I've been devouring series like the Hunger Games, Divergent, Ruby Red, and Cinder.

But reading those Agatha Christies this weekend made me realize that I miss some of those simple, nonthreatening mysteries. It's always obvious who the murderer is, but I don't really care, because for two hours I can escape into Agatha Christie's world (a world which, ever since reading The Grand Tour: Around the World With Agatha Christie, I really wish I could visit!).

To answer the title of my post: Katniss Everdeen and Miss Marple are two of the people I turn to when I need some escapist reading! Although really, I may be more of a Hercule Poirot girl; I haven't fully made up my mind.


What's YOUR escapist genre?
Team Poirot or Team Marple?


This post contains Amazon affiliate images. Thanks for supporting Quirky Bookworm! If you're looking for some great international mysteries, check out my Around the World in 15 Mysteries list.