June 3, 2014

Library Story Time and Summer and Sad Things


Hello! I didn't mean to go five days without a blog post... but I've been rather preoccupied. Tragically, my best friend from college lost her husband last Thursday, leaving her alone with her three 3-year-olds. A website has been set up to help them out if you're so inclined. But I've mostly spent the last few days obsessively checking Facebook for updates on that situation, and doing some reading on my phone in between. I finished I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (book 4 in the Flavia de Luce series), and then I read the entirety of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Anyway, I'm trying to get back into the blogging groove, and I thought I'd share a fun Summer Reading Guide for Families that Kristin put together. It's full of so many classic books I loved as a kid - check out her suggestions!

Speaking of great kids' books, since playground equipment will raise blisters in this kind of weather, we've been getting our wiggles out by going to the library for storytime. (You can see Eleanor in the blue shirt in the pic above). Story time really is the best in the summer: the bliss of air-conditioning, plus other people reading & leading silly songs. And then we check out lots of books afterward. Eleanor has had me read Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite approximately 52 times. She's also had a blast reading me Pete the Cat books, like Pete the Cat: Play Ball! Hooray for the library saving my sanity this time of year!

How are you starting your summer?