June 23, 2014

Musings on Maybes: Underwhelming Books




I've been listening to Cruel Beauty on audiobook. It's sort of a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I guess most accurately it's the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale + the myth of Persephone. 

I love the narration - Elizabeth Knoweldon does a superb job. I just can't decide if I like the actual story or not. Nyx Triskelion is a hard heroine to love. And yet, I don't hate her. So I can't make up my mind if it's worth my time to finish listening to the last 4 hours or so. But it's National Audiobook Month! I can't quit the book, right?

Basically, I wish it was more like Spindle's End, Robin McKinley's retelling of Sleeping Beauty, because I really loved that one.

Whereas Cruel Beauty is just kind of meh. I'm so conflicted.


Opinions?
Should I stick it out?

P.S. Speaking of audiobooks, last week's giveaway is still open!