May 19, 2015

A Bookworm's Plea: Please Don't Ask Me What My Favorite Book Is!



Scene at a party recently.


Hostess: "So-and-so is in my book club! Jessica is a blogger."
So: "Oh really?"
Me: "Yes, I blog a lot about what I read."
So: "What's your favorite book?"
Me: "I don't know! I really can't narrow that down."
So: "Let's say you have to. What's your favorite?"
Me: "Ummmm... I really can't. I read about 120 books a year! That's too many to pick just one."
So: "120?! Do you have kids?"
Me: "Um, yep. 5 year old and 1 year old."
So: Making judgy face.
Noel: (Reluctantly trapped listening to this conversation.) "Thank goodness for audiobooks, huh?"
Me: "Yeah, I listen to a lot of audiobooks. And I'm still nursing, so I read a lot then." (Trying to make it less awkward) "Maybe I'll just let her nurse till she's five, hahaha!"
So: Staring at me, not laughing.
Me: (smiling nervously) "Anyway, nice to meet you... "

Phew. That question just always stresses me out so much! How about you?




Do YOU have a favorite book?


[Ironically, the photo above wasn't actually taken at a party... but at church. We had a silly photo booth after service on Family Sunday a few months ago. But it was the most "Howard family at a party" type picture I could find.]