August 28, 2012

Who's YOUR favorite author?


I snapped that gorgeous photo on a recent evening walk. It's totally unfiltered - the sky really was that pink! It doesn't have anything to do with this post, but I just couldn't resist sharing it.

This post is mostly written by those of you who filled out my survey. As I mentioned the other day, I giggled a bit maniacally as I wrote "Who is your favorite author?", since I figured you'd have a hard time deciding. And, I was right!

About half of you left the question blank, but here are the responses I got. I put my responses to a few of them in red.
  1. Hard to pin down a favorite! I like folks from Jane Austen to Rick Bragg to Amy Tan to Jon Scieszka! Ha! I have a sudden urge to read The Stinky Cheese Man.
  2. I've always enjoyed Guenter Grass, but I can't really say I have a favorite author.
  3. Tough one - contemporary-wise, maybe Curtis Sittenfeld or Allegra Goodman.
  4. Sheri S.Teper 
  5. Georgette Heyer Yay! She's my favorite too.
  6. Love British classics - Austen, Dickens, Gaskell...
  7. I love reading a mixture of all genres. Some of my favorite books in the last year or so were THE NIGHT CIRCUS, A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES & GONE GIRL. I have read more Historical romances than I can count this year (which I consider a guilty pleasure and for "Calgon take me away" moments). I also like anything by Tana French and the mystery/thriller genre (I liked BROKEN HARBOR which I just finished). My all-time favorite author would have to be Jane Austen. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Sigh. To me, it's perfection. To me too!
  8. Jane Austen, if I am allowed only one answer.
  9. Anne Tyler 
  10. A tie between Dorothy Dunnett and Dorothy SayersHow very Dorothy-ish! I can't even think of another Georgette author.
  11. Favorite author overall would probably be J.R.R. Tolkien, but I really have a favorite in every genre.  Top three right now? Probably Erik Larson, Haruki Murakami, and Julia Quinn (Just Like Heaven was so cute and funny).
  12. I can't pick just one! :) C.S. Lewis, Francine Rivers
  13. These days, Dr. Seuss.
  14. Who can possibly answer this question??? Variety is one of the reasons I like to read, and why I like to read about a variety of authors on your site :)
  15. Cannot choose just one. There were about 10 variations on this statement. Most had lots of exclamation points.
  16. So hard to choose - but I love Madeleine L'Engle, Joanne Harris, Marisa de los Santos and so many others.
  17. Cormac McCarthy I'm pretty sure this was Noel. Based on the fact that this person also said they'd like to see me write more about Batman...
  18. Laura Hillenbrand because I can't pick anybody else :)
  19.  J. K. Rowling
  20. Walker Percy, Jonathan Swift, Philip Larkin, Wallace Stevens, Barbara Kingsolver, Jane Austen, Anne Tyler, J.R. R. Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein. For starters. I love the "for starters"!
  21. I don't really have one.
  22. Jane Austen, The Bronte Sisters, J.K. Rowling, Lauren Oliver, Marcus Zusak
  23. Shannon Hale, Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb Hm. This makes me think I should try Robert Jordan, because I also love those other two.
  24. Jane Austen or JK Rowling...or maybe I have a few too many to pick a favorite :-)
  25. Roald Dahl
  26. Hmmm...Jane Austen. Always a pretty safe bet!
  27. "Wow, that's a tough one. Fiction: Dostoevsky.
    Sci-Fi: Asimov. Need to think about it a bit more."
  28. Stephen King. I have a pretty good guess that this was a friend from college, since they said they'd like me to write more about Noel, ha.
  29. Unfair question! :D
  30. Robert Jordan Ok, I think Robert Jordan is definitely going on the to-read list.
  31. Sylvia Plath
  32. C.S. Lewis, P.G. Wodehouse, Brock and Bodie Thoene. I kind of forgot about the Thoenes, I used to love their books. Might be time for a re-read. 
  33. Jonathan Franzen
  34. Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, Elizabeth Peters, etc, etc :-) I like you, just based on these answers!
  35. David Mitchell, specifically his novel Cloud Atlas
Thanks for helping me write this post! 
Any favorite authors who weren't mentioned?