December 23, 2013

Announcing the 2014 Young Adult Book and Movie Club




Never fear! This will not be like last year when I made a really hard challenge that I couldn't even keep myself.

This is easy peasy - just some fun YA Books to read. I'm doing this in real life with some friends, but I couldn't resist sharing it with you too, in case some of you want to join in.

Here's how it'll work: every month we read a young adult book. Then at the end of the month my friends and I will get together to watch the movie of the book, and eat snacks that were inspired by the book. (You should totally do this with your friends too!)

But the typical book club discussion part is going to be all online. I made a Facebook group, which you can join here. So you can participate in the bookish chit chat with us every month if you want to!

Here are the books/movies that made the cut:
  • January - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  • February - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • March - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  • April - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  • May - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • June - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  • July - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  • August - The Scorpio Races*
  • September - The Maze Runner
  • October - The Fault in Our Stars
  • November - Anne of Green Gables
  • December - The Book Thief
Obviously there's a lot of Harry Potter... mostly because I have three (gasp! yes! THREE!) friends who have never read them. Then I somewhat arbitrarily chose The Maze Runner, to try and find a Hunger Games/Divergent-esque book that none of us had read, since Harry Potter is a re-read for most of us. 

The Scorpio Races doesn't have a movie, but it works out nicely since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has two movies. I've heard good things about The Book Thief, so I'm excited to try it... and Anne of Green Gables just adds a bit of class to the list. All in all, I think it should be a fun year.


Who's in?


P.S. So I googled "Harry Potter Anne of Green Gables" to try and find an image to help me make the book club logo. And I discovered that there is crossover fanfiction where the two series meet. The internet is a crazy place sometimes.