June 18, 2015

Quirky Readers: Part Two (Plus Funny Book Pics)




Do you remember how about a month ago I asked you guys to answer some questions for me? I'm sorry I forgot to write up the results sooner!

Here's a smattering of the responses I got. To see more of them (and all of the questions I originally asked), check the comments here. And since the post was long and wordy, I threw in some random funny book-related photos I found on Pinterest. (Make sure to go all the way to the end though, to find out if you're the giveaway winner!)

I think if I'd had a transatlantic move like Tanya, I'd probably be even more of an e-reader than I am!
I'm a straight up literary fiction kind of girl. In the past I was a bit of a book snob, but blogging has made me more open minded.

I love my ereader - a basic KOBO. I think the trans-Atlantic move put me off real books. With an e-reader moving back to Canada will be so much easier! -- Tanya
Amanda and I have really similar reading tastes!
I like mysteries, historical, women's fiction, some romance, occasionally fantasy but not scifi, and some nonfiction. I am always reading multiple books- an audio, a fiction, a theology of some kind, etc. I have been sleeping all the time this pregnancy, so reading or tv had to reduce, and it's been tv. -- Amanda
This reply from Sarah blows my mind. NO BOOKS?!
Do you sort your bookcases? How - alphabetically? By genre? Here's my quirk - I don't keep books at all! I have a free library in our front yard. -- Sarah


 
Jo's response makes me laugh, because I thought I'd be the same way. But I'm married to a non-reader, and it's totally fine. In fact, that's a big part of why I started blogging! So I could talk to you guys about books, since Noel doesn't really care.
Does your significant other like to read? That would be a deal breaker. Is that too harsh? -- Jo

I find the great multiple-books-at-once and one-book-at-a-time divide so interesting! I think it's pretty much the biggest dividing line I can think of among readers, people usually fall definitively into one camp or the other. (I'm the first, and Julie is the second!)
I like most varieties of fiction (minus paranormal and such) and nonfiction, especially travel narratives. I'm definitely a one-book-at-a-time sort of reader.  -- Julie
I'm kind of like Leigh. My books are loosely grouped by genre, but I have my own little system of establishing favorites in order, which wouldn't make much sense to anyone else.
They're loosely grouped according to my own classification system. Food memoirs are together, writing/creativity books too. Fiction is separate from non-fiction. I have part of a shelf devoted to my favoritest non-fiction. The rest doesn't make any sense to anyone else.  -- Leigh



I find it interesting that Carrie and her husband always watch tv together. Noel and I do sometimes, but we have quite different taste.
What tv shows are you loving right now? --My husband and I always watch together, and lately we've jumped between Warehouse 13 (Netflix), NCIS, and Rocket City Rednecks (Netflix).  -- Carrie
I'm intrigued that Laura sorts kids' books by format, instead of author or genre. (Our kid books right now are sorted by reading level, and then genre within reading level.)
My fiction is sorted alpha by author. Other books are sorted by genre. (Inspirational, Parenting, Gardening, etc). Kids books are sorted by size & hardback vs. paperback.   -- Laura
 Farin's response makes me wonder if I'd like my Kindle so much if I still had a desk job.
I am a big mystery/thriller gal. I also love historical fiction and contemporary fiction. I tend to keep to one book at a time — I find it difficult to move between different worlds and characters at the same time. And, believe it or not, I don't use an e-reader. I've tried it, but I find it really difficult to read on it after staring at a computer at work all day long. I also don't generally travel with more than one book at a time, so it's not like I need an easy way to carry around multiple books.  -- Farin



Alison's response about her husband's reading habits made me chuckle.
My husband loves reading about current affairs, but doesn't read many books. He says law school burned him out for reading. :)  -- Alison
 Amy's favorite genre is pretty funny too.
Mystery / horror. I guess I like things where people die. -- Amy
I think I need to go to Angi's house.
 My husband sorts our bookcases by genre and alphabetically. In our living room, we have the General Fiction run and vintage children's books, in our bedroom, we have the Sf/F and horror runs, my Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, Maurice Sendak, Elizabethan, and Arthurian collections, as well as a huge Fairy Tale/Myth run. More kids's collections and shelves of personal reading in Natalie's room, and Art, Music, Drugs, Grateful Dead, Gorey, collectibles, and Cassidy's personal reading are all in Cass's room. Reference, Cooking, plants/herbs, etc are in the kitchen/dining hallway. In the TV room, we have my Disney collection and books on film/filmographers. It is possible that we have too many books.  -- Angi


 Debbie's reply reminded me that I NEED to try one of William Kent Krueger's books. I keep hearing such accolades.
Best movie? Hmmmm....American Sniper maybe.
Best book? Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. -- Debbie
I agree with Andi about foodie memoirs. (Although they always make me hungry!)
What are your favorite genres? Literary fiction, travel memoirs, foodie memoirs. -- Andi
Betsy's list of tv shows makes me wish I had cable! I do love those House Hunters type shows!
What tv shows are you loving right now? George Gently, Numbers, House Hunters International, Cupcake Wars. -- Betsy


And I know that was a hard question Sheila, it's hard for me to narrow it down to one favorite too.
What's the best book you've read this year? This is always the hardest question for me, so I'm going to cheat. If you absolutely FORCED me to just pick one of each, I'd go with As You Wish and Inside Out and Back Again. And I can't narrow it down more than that - they're so different! Nonfiction vs. fiction. Adult title vs. kid lit. Memoir vs. novel in verse. -- Sheila
Thanks for answering everyone! I find it so fun to see how different we all are, even though we all love reading! 

If I missed linking to your blog, let me know, and I'll update the post. The winner of the $5 Amazon gift card is commenter #8 - Laura! I'll be contacting you Laura.