September 24, 2015

When You're Reading Nine Books At Once



I am a big advocate of reading multiple books at a time, but WHEW have I gotten myself in the middle of too many right now.

I'm currently reading six books at once. And that includes finally finishing one, and ruthlessly abandoning two others - because earlier this week it was nine, eek! 

Here are the nine I was reading on Tuesday:

  1. A Banquet of Consequences by Elizabeth George is for review. I always love revisiting Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers, but it's so long, and eeek, I'm running out of time.
  2. Weird by Craig Groeschel is a look at living a Christian life in modern society, which we're reading in our community (aka life aka small) group.
  3. Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan is my current car audiobook. It's laugh-out-loud funny. I mean, he describes cheese curds as "it's like French fries and heaven had a baby". I also love that Gaffigan's humor is clean enough that I can listen to this in the car with the kids, and not worry about what they're hearing!
  4. Magna Carta: The Birth of Liberty by Dan Brown is also for review. Thank goodness I finished this one and got the review submitted, so now I only have the George looming over me!
  5. Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce is good, but it was just not really holding my attention.  I have so many other things to read, that I decided to turn it back in at the library and re-request it for later.
  6. Golden Son by Pierce Brown is stressing me out. I just have a feeling that it's going to end badly, and I'm going to die of impatience while waiting for book 3 to come out. But, I don't want to completely give up on it, because I know I almost never come back to audiobooks if I temporarily quit them. So I've been listening to a few minutes every few days, at which rate it will take me like 9 more months to finish it.
  7. Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier is the audiobook I'm currently devouring. I love these silly books so much. I got this one in an Audible sale a couple of months ago - I might have to buy the next two also.
  8. Just Mercy by Bryan Stephenson is heartrending. It's so good, but so intense, and it makes me really sad whenever I read it. I've read through chapter 9, and I'm taking a breathing/processing break before I get back to it later.
  9. Messenger by Lois Lowry came in from the library a while ago, and I wasn't going to read it, but Lowry's books are so short that I couldn't resist. I only read for about 35 minutes, and I'm already halfway through it. 
I hope I do end up coming back to Trickster's Queen and Just Mercy. It always makes me nervous to quit a book even temporarily, because so often I never find the time to come back to them. But nine is just too many. Something had to give.


How many books are YOU reading?