September 15, 2014

Giving Books a Second Chance


When I was in 8th grade I first watched the Emma Thompson version of Sense and Sensibility. (Which I watched again on Saturday for like the 40th time. Still so good - as many of you agreed on Facebook.) 

After watching it, I went through a Jane Austen kick, and read most of her books in the next few months. I remember strongly disliking Persuasion, so I never re-read it until this year. But I absolutely loved it this time around. I might even give Anne Elliot a slight edge over Elizabeth Bennet for best Austen heroine! I think the difference was that my 14 year old self was appalled how "old" Anne was before finding love. (She's 28). My current self is like, "28? Oh to be in my 20s again."

That got me wondering - what other books should I try again? Sophomore year I took a strong dislike to Dickens. Maybe he's better with age? Or, I hated The Old Man and The Sea. Should I try a different Hemingway title?


When do YOU give books a second chance?